Ports

Help!!!
Adam

Ports

Postby Adam » Sat Jul 12, 2003 10:00 pm

I would normally have searched for this information on the CX website; however, the forums there no longer exisit. So, I Googled and didn't find anything either. Therefore, what are the ports that CX uses?

Adam

P.S. I'm not just asking for this for the information, but am asking this so the information is posted somewhere.
Josh
Me BoB Me GoD
Me BoB Me GoD

Postby Josh » Sun Jul 13, 2003 3:57 pm

5666 - 5669
sergio
Avid Poster
Avid Poster

Postby sergio » Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:47 am

GA-Slava Station Member posted 01-25-2000 02:17 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Chron X client software connects to the Chron X server for chat and purchasing on port 5666. When connecting the server attempts to connect back to you on port 5667 to determine if you are behind a firewall-if it cannot connect it assumes you cannot handle incoming connections of any kind. To prevent the server from doing this check add a /O switch after Chronx.exe on the command line or in a shortcut the server will immediately assume you are behind a firewall. When two players connect for a game, the server assigns one player to be the game host-this player must be able to accept an incoming connection from the other player on port 5668. Normally, the host is the person who is challenged in the chat area, but if the server believes that person is behind a firewall it will make the challenger the host. If both people appear to be behind a firewall the responsibility of hosting reverts to the challenger again. If the person selected as host cannot accept an incoming game the connection will time out and the challenge will fail-two players behind different firewalls cannot play each other unless one can accept an incoming connection.
Divine Kaos
Avid Poster
Avid Poster

Postby Divine Kaos » Tue Jul 15, 2003 1:50 pm

Plus, in the new CX manual it says ports 5666-5668
Perfection In Kaos!
http://www.perfectkaos.net
The only tyrant I accept, is the voice within..
Adam

Postby Adam » Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:24 pm

Divine Kaos wrote:Plus, in the new CX manual it says ports 5666-5668

Shows you the last time I read the manual :D !
Divine Kaos
Avid Poster
Avid Poster

Postby Divine Kaos » Wed Jul 16, 2003 7:09 am

I had never read it before the other day, I skimmed it, since they released a new version off the main website, I really don't like the fact that its in PDF though.
Perfection In Kaos!

http://www.perfectkaos.net

The only tyrant I accept, is the voice within..
Adam

Postby Adam » Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:40 pm

Quick questions, are the ports TCP or UDP? My knowledge of IP protocals makes me think that it would be TCP because it is the connection oriented protocal; however, that doesn't mean anything as it is just knowledge I learned for my Network+ exam.
Kosh K95x
Avid Poster
Avid Poster

Postby Kosh K95x » Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:38 pm

Yes, CX uses TCP. It would be really silly for it not to. Nothing in CX has to be "real time", and it would be disastrous for any messages to get lost. If CX tried to use UDP, then it would have to do it's own loss detection and recovery. Why do that when TCP does it all for you? :D
- Kosh K95x

These walls may one day fall, but not today.
Adam

Postby Adam » Sun Jul 20, 2003 12:11 am

Kosh K95x wrote:Yes, CX uses TCP. It would be really silly for it not to. Nothing in CX has to be "real time", and it would be disastrous for any messages to get lost. If CX tried to use UDP, then it would have to do it's own loss detection and recovery. Why do that when TCP does it all for you? :D

Yes, it would be kinda disasterous if CX tried to use UDP, especially when TCP does it for you. I would hate to see how much work Anthony and Andrea would have then. Talk about a PR and customer support nightmare. :shock:
NoWearMan

Postby NoWearMan » Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:13 am

Just a tad off topic, but I was just wondering why this forum area is called "Disaster Assitance"?

Return to “Disaster Assitance”